Garden Slices

GARDEN SLICES
Silverlake Winter Garden
The most notable thing about a winter garden in Los Angeles is how hopeful it appears. Nothing is covered with snow and this year, unfortunately, rain has hardly moistened the ground. Our hope melds with that of our garden as we await a good soaking rain.
Roses begin their annual journey, sending out tender, bright leaves. Our Camellia sprouts white-tipped buds and here and there an occasional flower. Azaleas begin pushing out slender shoots, while a Blue Nile Lilly, confused by the warmth of January, discharges one lonely flower through spiked leaves. Winter vegetables - Kale, Spinach, and Swiss Chard are supple and strong and of various shades of green.
As I prepared the photographs, I saw them as cross sections or slices of garden. And as I began writing, a song written and performed by The Mamas and The Papas, came to mind: California Dreamin'.
While the lyrics tell us we'd be "safe and warm" in L.A., our dreams are of many rainy days before winter's end.

California Dreamin'
All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk on a winters day
I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A.
California dreaming on such a winters day
Stepped into a church I passed along the way
Well, I got down on my knees and I pretended to pray
You know the preacher likes the cold he knows I'm gonna stay
California dreaming on such a winters day
All the leaves a brown and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk on a winters day
If I didn't tell her I could leave today
California dreaming on such a winters day
On such a winters day, on such a winters day
Songwriters
John Phillips / Michelle Phillips
Published by Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group









Comments

Popular Posts